Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm leaving on a jet plane...



In about 8 hours I'll be taxing off the runway at MCO for over three months in Europe. I'll be flying straight into London, where I'll be staying with a nice man I met on the internet (haha). He's been kind enough to not only allow me to sleep under his roof - I even have my own personal tourguide for the weekend.

Wednesday morning I fly from London to Madrid, Spain, where I'll be meeting up with my study abroad group. We'll be spending 2 nights in Madrid before we leave for Toledo and then we'll be in Santander until June 22. It's a language-intensive course, and I'm hoping it'll really help me with my future studies in Spanish.

The 23rd I fly from Madrid to Paris to meet my best friend from high school. We'll be spending five nights in Paris, then we'll head to Munich, with hopefully at least one night in Strausburg or on the Alsacian wine route. 17km walking through vineyards, going from town to town; eating, drinking, walking. Does it get any better than that?

We'll be spending some time in Southern Germany looking at castles and just generally being tourists. Our plans aren't really definite on anything except for our five nights in Paris. It's going to be great.

I need to check in on the 3rd of July in Mannheim for my second course - a medieval and early modern history course focusing on the Holy Roman empire. I'll also be doing an independent study. Because I'm considering a minor in Religion, I'm planning on doing some research on Christianity and the work ethic - determining how medieval religion informed social expectations of labor. We'll see what's available there. That's a slightly broad topic, so it'll be more focused eventually.

At the end of the Mannheim program I booked my flight out an extra 4 days. I'll be spending that time in Prague - a city I've wanted to visit for a long time. I'm not going to make it to Greece at all, which is a country that I've wanted to go to for a long time, but I'll do it with my sister. Funny story - I was talking to one of the instructors for the Mannheim course and telling her that we wouldn't be making it to Italy. She said in absolute seriousness, "Oh, that's ok. You're going to go back." I love it.

Did I mention that I'll be turning 30? Strangely enough, it doesn't bother me a bit.

No comments: