Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Fun with Instructions!

The last of my gear was delivered today - an inexpensive non-cotton hat, two pairs of running shorts (mens - why can't manufacturers make women's clothes fit right?), and my trekking poles!

At first I wasn't planning on bringing poles. I never used them before except when snowshoeing. Then I talked to my mom and she said she thought they'd be worth it. Then we talked about stream crossings, and I imagined doing them without poles, and then with. I ordered the poles right away.

Fortunately, Sierra Trading Post had quite a few sets to choose from. The first pair I chose sold out when I was shopping for shorts. The second pair were cheaper, plus I had a 15% off coupon from my last purchase, so I got a pair of $90 Komperdell trekking poles for $46.00.

First I read the directions and the miscellaneous reading material that came with them. Between the grammar missteps and typos, it made for entertaining reading. Then, I put one of the baskets on. It was a little tough. Before I locked it on, I considered that maybe I shouldn't put it on, because I may not be able to get it back off. Ah, well - caution is for sissies. On we go. Then I tried to take it back off. No go.

I waited until Ray got home, and when he couldn't get them off, I started to get a little worried.

I read the directions. Here's where it was funny. This is a direct copy of the text.
Easy-Change Basket System
With the exclusive Vario Basket System you can easily change between summer and winter basket and adapt them to different conditions with just a short twist. By turning to the left take off the basket from its fixation, change summer- or winter basket and fix the new basket by turning to the right.

I tried, but no matter how many times I turned in circles, I had no luck.

I called Sierra Trading Post to ask for help, and sometime in the course of the conversation we figured out that they actually are summer baskets. So... they can stay on. It's easier to take the tips on and off than the baskets. If I ever decide to use these in the winter, I'll need new tips.

No comments: